Agriculture in several countries is a major booster of the economy as it immensely contributes to GDP. In the Middle Eastern countries, the production as well as the marketing of different varieties of dates play a crucial role in their economy and world trade by supplying dates and value added products to countries all around the globe.
Iraq possesses a reputation for being the oldest domestication center of the date palm. Iraq is also among the list of top countries like Egypt, Iran, and Saudi Arabia in production as well as distribution of dates. In this blog, we are going to look into the varieties of Iraqi Dates & their characteristics. Buy Iraqi Dates in India with the best quality and heavenly taste from our website https://www.khajur.in/.
Varieties of Iraqi Dates and Their Characteristics
The date palm (Phoenix Dactylifera) is one of the oldest trees that were cultivated in Babylon, Iraq in 4000 B.C. Being high-energy as well as delectable fruits, date fruits have been a vital source of food for the Iraqis, providing them with numerous health benefits. Alongside fruits, their trunks and foliage are used for multiple commercial intents e.g. the trunks are used as timber, the midribs of leaves are used for making furniture, cases and hampers, the palm leaflets are used for basketry and the leaf base is used as biomass.
On the basis of the date fruit appearance and the texture, they fall into three categories viz. Soft dates, semi-dry dates, and dry dates. The soft dates contain soft flesh and greater than 30 percent moisture content. The semi-dry dates have firm flesh and a very lower moisture content of about 20-30 percent. Dry dates are very dry and have very low moisture of about less than 20 percent.
There are many assorted cultivars that are grown in Iraq with a mouthwatering and luscious taste drawing consumers from one side of the planet to the other. So let’s see some of the major as well as famous Iraqi cultivars and their attributes.
- These are the leading fresh dates produced in Iraq.
- Zahdi cultivars belong to the semidry dates variety.
- They possess characteristics like medium size, cylindrical body shape, light golden brown color, large seed size, and a delicate sweet taste.
- This particular variety is accessible and sold in delicate, medium-hard, and hard assortments. The flesh content present is crunchy and fibrous in nature.
- Sayer date originated in Iraq and is the most prevalent cultivar in Basrah.
- They are dry in nature.
- These dates are associated with qualities like dim orange-earthy colored body, medium size, oval bended aside, soft and syrupy content.
- Halawy are delicate and very sweet dates that have their long-established starting points in Iraq.
- These cultivars have characteristics like thick flesh and wrinkled appearance.
- There is a progression in the color of this variety from yellow to light golden and afterward to a brilliant brown.
- Qualities associated with these dates include sweet as well as syrupy nature and tiny size.
- Khadrawy dates originated in Iraq and are semi-dry in nature.
- These have characteristic highlights such as a caramel-like surface and a sweet flavor.
- They mature to amber and then cured to reddish-brown.
- Barhi dates are native to Iraq and soft in nature with thick flesh content in them.
- There is a progression in color from the light amber color to dark brown when ripe.
- They possess characteristics like rich flavor and cylindrical shape
- These need special treatments like refrigeration, restoring, and exceptional bundling as they are extremely delicate in nature.
Nutritional Aspect of Iraqi Dates
There is an enormous interest in the Iraqi dates in the entire world for their rich taste and exceptional quality. Their sweetness has spellbound the customers and even a little chomp of the Iraqi dates can fill one’s heart with joy. The macro and microelements present in dates are genuinely essential for human health. We also see a substantial amount of vitamins in sundry date varieties. These have a rich sweet taste as they contain sucrose content in them. Different date varieties contain different quantities of sucrose content, for example Zahdi dates contain almost three times more sucrose compared to others. Similarly, the ascorbic acid content in the Sayer is four times more than that of the other studied cultivars. Iraqi dates are enriched with antioxidant properties, and Khastawi dates have the most antioxidant potential. These diverse Iraqi dates are excellent for our bones as they contain bone-friendly minerals like phosphorus, calcium, and potassium.
Iraqi date assortments possess great taste along with rich nutrient and calorie content. To partake in the relishes of the great taste and immense health benefits of the rich and mouth-watering dates buy Iraqi dates in India now from our website https://www.khajur.in/ or from leading market places like Amazon, Bigbasket, Flipkart or from D-Mart. For any Queries mail us at email@example.com or call us at +91 9930634834.
- Iraq possesses a reputation for being the oldest domestication center of the date palm.
- There are many assorted cultivars that are grown in Iraq with a mouthwatering and luscious taste drawing consumers from one side of the planet to the other.
- Some of the major as well as famous Iraqi cultivars are Zahdi, Sayer, Halawy, Khastawi, Khadrawy, and Barhi.
- On the basis of the date fruit appearance and the texture, they fall into three categories viz. Soft dates, semi-dry dates, and dry dates.
- The vitamins, macro, and microelements present in dates are genuinely essential for human health.
- Iraqi date assortments possess great taste along with rich nutrient and calorie content. Depending upon the date varieties the sucrose as well as Ascorbic acid quantity changes.