Cooking Time: 50mins
Date and Walnut Scones
Write a review
2 cups Plain flour, sieved ¼ cup Powdered sugar 2 tsp Baking powder ¾ tsp Salt ½ tsp Soda ¼ cup Chilled butter, cut into cubes ¾ cup Milk ½ cup Finely chopped Falcon Zahdi Seedless Dates ¼ cup Finely chopped walnuts 1/3 cup Buttermilk For the Glaze 2 tbsp Cold water mixed with 1 tbsp salad oil To Serve Jam and clotted cream (recipe follows)
- Mix first five ingredients together in a bowl.
- Cut butter into cubes and add to the flour.
- Mix this with sharp knife cutting through the flour.
- The mixture should be crumbly.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Fold in dates and walnuts into the mixture with a metal spoon.
- Finally add the buttermilk to form firm dough.
- Transfer the dough onto floured surface and knead briefly. Pat the dough until ¾ inch thick.
- Cut with 2 inch rounds with a cookie cutter.
- Place the scones on a greased baking tray 2 inches apart.
- Brush each scone with prepared glaze and bake in a hot oven at 180°C. or 375° F. for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.